Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Aggies in South Carolina!

On Wednesday night, Chris and I headed to South Carolina for a long weekend getaway!  Last August we started talking about planning a trip sometime after Georgia Kate turned a year old.  I had always wanted to go to Charleston, but that wasn't at the top of Chris' list... that is until he looked at the football schedule and realized that the Aggies would be playing the University of South Carolina just an hour away in Columbia! :) It worked out for both of us and we had an amazing time!  Charleston is so beautiful and just so southern...I absolutely loved it!

 Our plane from Houston was at least half full of Aggies (probably more) and it was so fun! There were a few rounds of the Aggie War Hymn sung as we were landing…everyone was just so excited!  We staying in Charleston near the airport and then woke up first thing Thursday morning and drove to Columbia.  
Some of our close friends were also making the trip, so we met up with them for lunch, walked around campus and explored the town, and all sat together during the game!  We (the girls) were trying to be good sports, but it was seriously SO hot.  You would think as Houstonians we would be used to feeling like we were in a toaster, but goodness gracious.  Anyway, it ended up being such a fun experience and the Aggies were awesome, winning 52-28! 







We stayed in Columbia after the game and woke up Friday morning to drive to Charleston!  On our way into town we stopped at the Boone Hall Plantation.  I loved it!  The canopy of oaks that lined the long driveway was breathtaking and we really enjoyed the tours and learning the history of the plantation.  Fun fact:  This is the plantation where several scenes from The Notebook were filmed!  The house was Allie's house when she was growing up and the picture of the water is where Allie and Noah filmed the scenes in the canoe!  



After Boone Hall, we went to lunch at Husk.  Chris was so prepared and had researched all the best restaurants in Charleston and made us reservations.  Let me say this, the food in Charleston is serious business.  We hate way too much and every single meal was amazing.  We also did tons of walking so it all balanced out. ;) 

After lunch we walked through the market (not pictured) and then shopped on King Street.  It was a fun mix of chain stores (like LOFT) and boutiques.  I found a great kids clothing store called Kids on King, so I was in my happy place. :) 

Dinner that night was at Virginia's on King.  
Saturday morning we headed out to wander around and look at all of the gorgeous homes.  I loved every single one, but here were a few of my favorites.  


One of my favorite things was the porches.  All of the homes had these porch doors that faced the street and led onto the porch that usually faced a little courtyard between it and the next home.  The front door to the house was on the porch.  
Rainbow Row is a famous landmark in Charleston!
We met back up with our friends for lunch at CRU Cafe' and then Chris and I went on a carriage tour of the city.  I loved the tour!  


We went to Magnolia's for dinner, which was probably my favorite restaurant of the trip!
Sunday was our last full day.  Chris woke up early and walked over the Arthur Ravenel Bridge (a popular walk) and got a great picture of downtown Charleston.  I was not prepared and didn't have anything but sandals, so I slept in.  Next time I will definitely bring some tennis shoes!  
We headed to Low Country Bistro for brunch and from there spent the rest of the day just driving around the surrounding areas of Charleston.  It was a nice, low-key day.  
We drove through Sullivan's Island and Isle of the Palms.  We didn't spend time on the beach, but we did make a quick stop to walk out and see it.  

We went and saw the Angel Oak.  It was beautiful!  


For dinner we went to Jestine's Kitchen, which was Chris' favorite meal of the weekend and my least favorite. :) 
We came back yesterday and couldn't wait to see our babies!!! We missed them SO much!  Georgia Kate changed so much in 5 days.  She's basically an independent walker now.  I don't think she was very happy that we left because she was kind of giving us (mainly me) the cold shoulder for the first couple of hours that we were home.  Reid seems so much older all of a sudden too.  He was so sweet and gave me the biggest and longest hug when we got back.  He told us several times that he missed us.    
 
We are so, so, so grateful to all four of our kids' wonderful grandparents for taking such great care of them while we were away.  Here's a little bit of what they were up to…

This was after Reid's swim lesson so his hair is looking a little crazy, but Gig 'Em Aggies! :)





5 comments:

  1. Charleston is on my list of places I'd like to visit and this makes me want to go even more! Glad y'all had a great trip. And don't they always seem so much older even after just a little time away?! It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Charleston!! Brandon asked me if I ever wanted to move anywhere, where it would be. I said SC. He said "Britt, you have never been there." I said "I know, but it looks so amazing!" Haha. . . So. . . I am a tad bit jealous of your trip! Sounds like an awesome getaway. . . So glad you got to enjoy some time alone with the hubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also always wanted to go Charleston, and it's about 99% because of The Notebook! You might have inspired me to make that our next vacay destination, if we can ever plan a kid-free getaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so fun! I'm so glad y'all got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad y'all had a great time - well deserved! :) Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete