Thursday, September 4, 2014

Reid's First Day of School!

Yesterday was Reid's very first "First Day of School"!  This day seemed so far away when he was born.  I know it's just preschool and it's just 2 days a week, but this milestone has been a huge deal for me.  I went back and forth so many times about whether or not to send him to preschool this year or wait until next year when he's four.  Part of me feels like he has his whole life to go to school and I just want to keep him home with me right now. Another part of me knows that he will have so much fun and that Georgia Kate will get some much needed one on one time with Mommy.  To say I've been a huge mess of emotions over the last couple of days about this (actually months) is an understatement.  For me, the build up to a change is always so much harder than the actual change.  It just needed to happen so I could stop worrying about it.  


I could tell that Reid was really nervous, but also a little bit excited.  New experiences make him uncomfortable.  When his back pack, lunch box, and nap mat came in the mail back in July, it took him a few days to even touch them (literally touch them).  He knew they were for school and didn't want anything to do with them.  Every time I would bring up school over the last couple of weeks, he would change the subject (how does a 3 year old know to change the subject?)!  I bought the book The Kissing Hand to read to him the night before his first day.  We got a couple of pages in and once he realized that it was about school, he didn't want to read it anymore.  So much for a sweet moment! ;) All that to say, I had NO idea what to expect.  When he woke up yesterday morning he knew it was his school day.  We went through our morning routine and other than casually saying a couple of times that he didn't want to go to school, he was in a pretty good mood!  Once he was dressed and it was time to take a few pictures, I could tell he was getting a little bit excited.  I managed to hold back the tears while taking these pictures, but he just looked so grown up with his little backpack and lunchbox!  


On the way to school is when I got emotional, but managed to hide it from Reid. :) When we got there and put all of his things away, he was being very serious and just taking it all in.   Then the kids were supposed to wash their hands before sitting at the table.  He started being silly and acting like he was falling off the stool and couldn't do it, which is what he does when he's nervous.  After washing his hands I walked him over to one of the tables to start playing with blocks.  He told me he wanted me to stay for a few minutes, so I did, and then I gave him a kiss and told him I loved him and that I would see him later!  There were no tears from him!  I teared up a little bit on the way out, but I was just so relieved that it went so well.  



Reid's teacher, Ms. Katy, also happens to be one of my good friends.  She sent me a couple of pictures and videos throughout the day letting me know that he was happy and having a great day!  It was SO thankful that she did that!  Thank you, Katy!! :)


He napped at school.  I was completely shocked.  

I was so so so excited to pick him up.  I couldn't wait to hear all about his first day!  We went to get frozen yogurt as a first day of school treat and he shared a few things with me.  He gradually told me more throughout the afternoon and night.  He was most excited about how high he went on the swings and about his lunch. :) He also loved centers, especially the cars.  


I don't know if it's the former teacher in me or just being a mom, but I was so excited to get his first craft. :) They happened to read The Kissing Hand (so he ended up hearing it anyways) and then put their sweet handprints next to the poem.  Loved it. :) 

So there you have it…more than you ever wanted to know about Reid's first day of school!  He woke up this morning excited to go back, so I would say it was a huge success!  I know that he is in great hands and that it will be a great year.

I got a picture of Reid with wonderful Ms. Katy after his second day today.  Despite his face, he loves his teacher! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so proud of him (and you)!! Sweet boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it went so well - for both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it was a positive experience! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it was a success! Way to go, Reid!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to post a comment forever, hopefully this works! You are very sweet to write those things, but Reid has been the real rock star. He is kind and loving and such a good listener! I can't wait to see the Lord work in him this year!!

    ReplyDelete