Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Life with two...

We are only about a month into life with 2 children, but I thought I would share about how things are going so far.  I have to say, the transition has been so much smoother than I thought it would be.  I'm not saying it's been easy and there have definitely been many challenging moments, but overall, it hasn't been near as hard as I was anticipating it would be.  Here's a list of random thoughts about life with two (because I don't feel like figuring out how to make it flow into paragraphs)...

  • My c-section recovery was much quicker the second time.  I felt almost back to normal after about a week and had to remind myself that I just had major surgery and still needed to take it easy.  
  • Something that has surprised me is how much less tired I feel this time than I did with Reid.  I think it's because you are forced to get up and go when you have another child to take care of.  With your first, your body is just in shock over all of the changes.   I was really worried about having the energy to take care of a toddler and newborn after sleepless nights and while I definitely feel tired, I'm not dragging.  
  • The days seem to go by so quickly right now because I am ALWAYS doing something.   
  • In some ways I feel much more confident this time, but in other ways I feel just as clueless!  Every baby is different, so I can't just always do what worked with Reid.  It's been fun figuring out a new baby!
  • "Getting ready" (brushing teeth and putting in contacts) takes forever, leaving the house takes forever, and going to the bathroom and eating really doesn't happen for Mommy.  
  • I have learned to let a lot of things go.  Reid is wearing things that I probably wouldn't normally let him wear and eating things that I probably wouldn't let him eat.  He's loving that of course!  
  • I  feel like our washing machine and dryer are running constantly.  
  • The house is usually a mess, but I really don't care.  These truly are the best times of my life and I am not going to let them pass me by because I am too worried about things that don't matter.
  • Reid has been so helpful and seems so much older all of a sudden.  I have to remind myself that he is still only 2.  I try to involve him in almost everything I do with Georgia Kate.  I am so proud of him for how well he's done!  
  • It's so important to give yourself grace as a mom and not put too much pressure on yourself.
  • Second children are put through a lot.  Georgia Kate has gotten a book thrown at her head and a toy truck rolled over her (by her brother, not me) :).  Bless her heart.  We are working on being gentle.  
  • Flexibility is the name of the game.  
  • I might have a slight problem with searching for coordinating outfits for Reid and Georgia Kate.  
  • One thing that has really helped (this tip came from Courtney!) is that I loaded up on random toys from the dollar store and a few other fun things to pull out during these first few weeks of being inside the house a lot.  This (and the fact that we've had tons of friends and family in and out) has really helped keep Reid from getting bored.
  • The three of us ran our first errand today!! Woohoo!  I had to really gear myself up for this.  We went to Target of course!  I realized that I hadn't been to Target in over 4 weeks.  That has to be a record for me.  Overall, it went very smoothly and I left feeling very impressed with myself! :)
  • A selfless husband, loving and involved grandparents, and friends that bring you meals are invaluable.  We have been so blessed! 


 I am in love with this picture...



I am so beyond grateful for our babies.  We are LOVING life with two!   

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear the transition is going well- they are lucky to have you as a mom! And you can admit it- we all know you were the one that rolled over Georgia Kate with a truck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I was going to say pretty much the exact same thing Amanda said in her first sentence - shocker :) But I really am happy to hear good news about how it's going! I'll come back to read this in a couple of months to prepare myself :) Hope everyone is being EXTRA sweet to Mommy for her birthday week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pics of Reid loving on GK are priceless! Sweet boy! A few things I will need to remember when our baby #2 comes along - flexibility and letting things go that don't really matter in the scheme of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, and I don't think I ever commented on your last post but I kept meaning to. I LOVED that one. Loved, loved, loved! Your birth story was just perfect and I can't imagine the joy and surprise you must have felt when you found out you had a baby girl!! It honestly made me so much less nervous about having a c section with my next baby. Logan's birth was pretty traumatic, and this story made me think that a planned c-section won't be nearly as bad. I love her name and of course she is beautiful (I knew she would be). I for one, think it's really cool she shares a birthday and sort of a name with Prince George!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This describes life with two perfectly!!! From the easier c section to the second one getting a few rough moments. . .I love this post! So far, Reese has been carried by a two year old on the first day home (thankfully we were right there as it happened in a split second), has done a "front roll," (which really was just rolling her from back to stomach), and has now shared her bottle (big sister just wanted to see what it tasted like). I haven't been on any errands though! Probably a good thing we live nowhere near a Target or I might be tempted! I've been stressing about the house, but you are right! These are the best days, so I'm letting it go!

    ReplyDelete