Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Day in the Life - 2 years old

I want to document what our days look like right now.  I have a feeling that they will look a lot different in a couple of weeks! ;) Today was a busy, but typical day for us.  

I woke up at 7:00 (I usually don't set an alarm, but my body just wakes up at this time) and Reid started stirring at 7:15.  He does better if I give him a little time to wake up, so I watched Good Morning America until about 7:30 and then went upstairs to get him.  This was one of those mornings when he let me cuddle with him for a few minutes, which I loved.  Then he popped up and said, "Play trains (twanes)!"  This is almost always what he says first thing in the morning.  We went in the playroom and played trains and animals.  We also got in the fort that Chris built for him.  I think forts are a right of passage for boys.  He's OBSESSED.


 Around 8:00 I convinced him to go downstairs and eat breakfast.  First he wanted to help me unload the dishwasher ("Wee Elp!").  
 Reid isn't much of a breakfast person.  He usually just wants drinkable yogurt and some dry cheerios.  We sit on the couch and watch Baby Einstein Wild Animal Safari while we have breakfast.   
 After breakfast we went upstairs (or as he says, "up-a-tays") to get Reid changed.  It's hard to get him to come downstairs once we are up there, so we played a little bit more.  My favorite new thing he says is, "Couple minutes!"  It's seriously adorable and the cuteness is pretty hard to resist!
 Then it was Mommy's turn!  Reid played with his trains in my bathroom while I quickly got ready.
*Not pictured:  a little tantrum and throwing my toothbrush into the toilet.    
 We headed out for the morning a little after 9:00.  Reid is very aware of his surroundings now.  We usually go one of two ways when we leave the house and he has little landmarks on each route that he likes to talk about.  Today it was, "horses, barn...alligator (aday) next...see boats!"  This makes it sound like we live in the boonies.  We do pass a field of horses on our way out of the neighborhood, then there is a huge fake alligator in front of a hole in the wall crawfish place, and the boats are at Bass Pro Shop.  He loves talking about all of these things!  
 First stop, Little Gym!  
 Next, we headed to Target for a new toothbrush for Mommy (since mine was in the toilet), which I ended up forgetting to get.  Isn't that what always happens at Target?!
 After Target, we went to lunch with one of my precious former students and her mom (who has turned into a great friend) and brother.  I forgot to take a picture!! :(

We got home around 12:30 and played for an hour.  Reid went down for his nap at 1:30.  I started a load of laundry and loaded the dishwasher and then did NOTHING for the rest of his nap.  I also didn't feel an ounce of guilt...one of the perks about having a baby in a week and a half! :) 

Reid slept until 3:30!!! Yay!  After his nap we headed over to a splash pad with Sharon and Tiffany.  This was Reid's second time at a splash pad this summer and both times he kind of just stood around.  He wasn't really into water squirting all over him, but he was VERY into the ducks, turtles, and fish that were next to the splash pad!  

 We got home at 5:30 and Reid did his chore (feeding the dogs).  He LOOOVES feeding the dogs.  
 This is when I should have been cooking dinner.  I am always weird about dinner when I'm pregnant.  I'm never hungry at a normal dinner time and the last couple of weeks I've been completely unmotivated to cook.  Chris offered to stop at the store on his way home to get something for them.  While we were waiting for Chris to get home, Reid played upstairs by himself.  We are working on him learning to play independently sometimes and every now and then he will do it! :) Chris got home at 6:15ish.  They ate dinner around 6:30 while I sat with them and ate watermelon (I can't get enough watermelon)!  
 Chris and Reid played together after dinner while I did a few random things around the house.  Today it was cleaning out my car (HOW DOES IT GET SO MESSY?!), unloading the dishwasher, and just general picking up.  I joined them upstairs at 7:30 and we all played together for 30 minutes.  
 At 8:00 it was bath time!  
 Love this little lion. :)
 We always read books and say our prayers together.  Tonight we read Pajama Time, a Dr. Suess book that Reid calls "that book", and Goodnight Moon.  After prayers he wants me to sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and then I tell him goodnight.  Chris stays up with him for a few minutes after that.  
After I got downstairs, I took a quick shower and ate my dinner (a pimento cheese sandwich - another random pregnancy craving).  Now I am working on this post while Chris and I watch House Hunters. :) I'm thinking about folding a load of laundry before crawling into bed and watching TV!  

That's what our life looks like right now and I love every second of it!

7 comments:

  1. I feel like these "day in the life" posts are very telling of people's personalities, if that makes sense! Like it's clear that you like some order to your day and you guys definitely have some routines, but overall you seem pretty laid back about how the day goes... haha anyway, I will stop trying to psychoanalyze your post now :) I will be interested to see how much your days have changed after baby #2 comes along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Your day sounds a lot like ours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun day! The real question is: did you ever replace that toothbrush or did you just give up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I was the same way about dinner when I was pregnant...nothing ever sounded good, so we ended up eating out a lot or having cereal. Zack was never very happy.

    Love the picture of Sciba reading to Reid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. About half the time I go to Target I forget to buy what I actually went in for in the first place! Ahhhh how does it always suck us in like that???

    Sounds like you guys had a fun day. Yay for a long nap and for some much needed mommy break time! I will have to do a post like this sometime before our baby comes in Jan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittany,
    This is such a sweet time with your firstborn- enjoy every second of it! Soak it up, because, yes, it'll all be changing soon! You'll LOVE having 2 little ones, but I'm not gonna say you won't look back and get a little nostalgic about the one-child days. :)
    And I totally understand the dinner thing. This was me last month- consuming as much watermelon as I could!
    Rest and take naps these last few weeks.
    Can't wait to hear about your new precious gift!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good post! I need to do one of these! You are very active for having a baby in a week and a half!! I'm just sitting on the couch letting Stella play around me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete