Sunday, July 29, 2012
picture advice!
I would love to hear from anyone who reads this blog (all 3 of you) about how you handle your photos! Since having Reid we have taken a billion pictures and they are all just sitting on our computer. Digital cameras are so nice, but it also gives us the ability to take way more pictures than we probably would if we were spending money on film. It can get very overwhelming! I want to have some actual albums in our house instead of just having all of the pictures on the computer. I want Reid (and our other future kids) to have easy access to pictures when they are grown up. Digital albums kind of stress me out because I am not very techy, but printing tons of pictures can get pricey. I kind of like the old fashioned way of printing actual pictures though. It's also really hard trying to decide which ones to put in an album/print. I just want to get a good handle on this now while it's still semi-manageable! :) I am welcoming advice and tips!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So I think I may have already told you once upon a time how I organize our pics - forgive me if this is repeat information :)
ReplyDeleteAs far as organizing goes, here is how we do it: whenever we take pictures, I try to immediately afterwards go through them to weed out the bad ones on the camera. Then I upload them onto the computer, weed through anymore bad ones I find, and then I save them in folders in chronological order. (I usually do it by seasons... so for 2012, I will have Spring, Summer, Fall, & Winter folders, sometimes with subfolders for major events, ie: Davis's 1st birthday party.) Then I upload them into Shutterfly (my albums on there are also organized chronologically, just like my computer folders). Like I said, I try to be selective about which pictures I keep and try to avoid having 50 of Davis in the exact same pose, so that helps by forcing you to choose the good ones as you go.
About every 3 months (so 4 times a year), I get on Shutterfly and just order prints of all the pictures I have taken since the last time I ordered. I usually end up ordering somewhere around 150-200 pictures at a time and spending somewhere between $20-30 (they almost always have specials or free shipping going on). Like you, I want to have physical copies of the pictures to pass on to my kids (whether they want them or not, ha!), so even though my house will be overflowing with albums at some point, I like it that way :)
If you are feeling up to the task - and it may be a HUGE undertaking at first - maybe you could just do a giant order of previous pictures, buy a bunch of albums, and stick them in there. After that, if you keep up with it relatively often, it won't take up nearly as much time and the cost will be spread out over time. But again, I know your free time is precious these days, so not sure how interested you are in doing that! :)
Hope that helps! Sorry for the information overload, but you know how I like my organizing...
I use Wal-Mart.com and pick site to store shipping. They are really cheap and the quality is good enough for every day pictures. If I have some good pictures that I really want to have nice prints of, I will use a more reputable site. I try to order once every 3 months or so.
ReplyDeleteI have made photo books on shutterfly and they have turned out great. It's been hard since I am back at work but I think it will be worth it in the long run. -Leah
ReplyDeleteI do exactly what blogivers does, except I'm not good at putting them in albums once they come in the mail! So I have orange shutterfly envelopes everywhere :). I also like the fact if my computer or external hard drive were to fail all my pictures are on shutterfly :).
ReplyDelete