With Reid's third birthday quickly approaching, I knew that it was time to start potty training. I had been putting it off for too long. I honestly hadn't really felt like he was ready until recently. We looked at our calendar for the months of April and May and this weekend was the only weekend that we had absolutely nothing on our calendar, so I knew we had to take advantage and just do it! Chris and I ended up going to celebrate a friend's birthday for a couple of hours on Saturday, so my parents took over potty training duty then. It was nice to have a small break! Leading up to this weekend we had been telling Reid that in a few days his diapers would go away. He asked where they would go and I told him we would give them to his sister. He quickly replied, "No… I wear a size 6 and Georgia Kate only wears a 3." Sorry buddy, that's not going to work. ;) I had NO idea how this whole thing was going to go. I had been picking my friends' brains about what worked for them and kind of put together my own plan based on what I felt like would work for Reid. I feel like potty training is kind of a personal thing and I don't want to share every detail with the internet for Reid's sake, but I'll give a brief summary! :) Friday morning did not go well. There were a lot of tears and I wanted to quit right then and there. We pushed through and by that afternoon it was getting better. It helped so much to have Chris home on Saturday and Sunday. I know potty training isn't something you are just done with and can check off the list, but overall I feel like it was a successful start. By this evening Reid had filled up his whole sticker chart. He was SO proud! He got a couple of rewards along the way (frozen yogurt and a snow cone and also 2 m&m's each time he went) and his big reward was a zoo trip with Mommy and Daddy! He usually only goes with me so he is really excited about this! We are going to take him next weekend.
This sweet girl had a rough weekend. She had a fever Saturday afternoon and night and was drooling like CRAZY, which is unusual for her. She did not feel well at all and it just broke my heart. I really do think it's teething (even though teething gets blamed for everything)! She seemed to be feeling a little better by this evening.
It was nice to just be home this weekend, but we are all a little worn out! :)
Monday Update: Poor baby girl has Hand, Foot, Mouth! She woke up this morning completely COVERED in a rash so I took her to the doctor. Reid had an awesome day in the potty training department. Yay! Tomorrow will be his first day to leave the house not wearing a diaper, so I'm a little bit nervous!


Good work on the potty training!!
ReplyDeleteGreat work on the potty training!! And I love GK's bib!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I am totally dreading potty training!!
ReplyDeleteYay Reid! Keep up the good work buddy!
ReplyDeleteProud of you for sticking with it and proud of Reid for a successful start to a lifetime of pottying :)
ReplyDeleteYay for potty training and only have one kid in diapers! Ugh...Carter had HFM last week...terrible! Hopefully it passes quickly!
ReplyDelete