My first year of being a mom has taught me so much. There's no way I could write it all down, but here are some of the things I've learned with a few recent phone pics spinkled in! :)
*I've learned to slow down and "stop to smell the roses". There is very little that truly has to get done every day. Nothing is more important than being with Reid. I have to remind myself sometimes that time passes way too quickly and other things can wait. I love watching him see something for the first time. Recently we were at the park and there was a bird sitting behind her beautiful speckled egg in the playground mulch. She was right by us on the swings just tweeting away. Reid was fascinated with her and I kind of was too. Before becoming a mom, I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but I loved sitting there and watching this bird (this is coming from someone who is normally terrified of birds!).
I thought Reid looked so cute in his Noah's Ark outfit. On this day we took him to the church nursery and it did not go well AT ALL, so we left early and went to the park. ;)
*I've learned that comparison steals your joy! It is so easy as a mom (especially with facebook and blogs) to compare yourself to everyone else. Instead of trying to be the perfect mom, I just try to be the best mom I know how to be for Reid!
Reid loved looking in this big mirror at the playground!
*I've learned how much I love being a boy mom! I LOVE having a boy and think it would be fun to have a house full of boys someday! I also love dressing a boy! Girls clothes are absolutely adorable, of course, but it's fun to shop for a boy too! I've definitely saved us some money because cute boy clothes are much harder to find!
Just playing with the wipes...
*I've learned that babies grow up faster than I ever could have imagined! Everyone tells you how fast time flies, but I never really understood until I had a child of my own. I am SO SO SO thankful to get to be with him every day and watch him grow right before my eyes!
We were at La Finca with some friends and Reid was being so shy and snuggly! This was the start of his cuddly phase and I'm still loving it!
*I've learned that I cannot do this job alone. I need the love and support of my husband (he is SO helpful), the encouragement and involvement from Reid's grandparents, other mommy friends who are going through this same stage of life, and most importantly the grace of God!
Crazy hair after his nap...
*I've learned that while all of the baby "stuff" is so fun and can definitely make raising a baby a little easier, most of it isn't truly necessary. Really, a baby just needs his mommy! I laugh when I think about everything I obsessed about needing and trying to make perfect before Reid arrived. I guess nesting is just part of it (especially with the first).
Just being adorable on his birthday...
*I've learned to appreciate everything in my life so much more. I know what's really important now and don't focus as much on "keeping up with the Joneses". I just find myself stopping throughout the day and thinking, "I'm just so thankful to have a house to live in" or "I'm thankful to be able to go to the grocery store and buy food for my family". I know that sounds silly, but there are so many people all over the world that can't say the same thing. I'm grateful that being a mom has made me so much more content.
Dressed in turtles from head to toe on our wagon ride to the mailbox!
*I've learned to appreciate my own parents so much more. I realize now more than ever all of the sacrifices they made for us throughout the years to give us such a wonderful life. I love them so much!
Poor baby got his first real bruise while learning to walk. I know this is the first of many!
*I've learned that babies are all unique and develop in different areas at different paces. It's easy to worry and compare your child to others, but it's so much better not to!
This is before our first swim class at Houston Swim Club!
*I've learned that sometimes it's better to just put the camera down and be in the moment. I often find myself thinking, "Oh I should go get the camera," (and I usually do), but sometimes it's better to not obsess about getting the perfect picture and just enjoy what's happening.
I'm sure I will be adding to this list as time goes on! :)
Love this! You know I agree with you on all of them :) I didn't know he was taking swim lessons...how are they going?
ReplyDelete